Friday, September 21, 2007

Friends

Without a doubt, this week has set my upper benchmark for “Total Number of Memories in a Seven Day Period.” Monday was my 21st birthday, Wednesday/Thursday was Rover production, and Thursday night was a fantastic meal, the height of which was my third beer ever and perhaps the most delicious one, a Sam Adams. (Of course, I was quickly reminded by my Rover friends of the immoral advertising techniques once practiced by Sam Adams – a sobering reality. Thanks guys.)

Common among all these experiences, however, is one element that I have quickly come to appreciate as so important to our short stay here at the University at Notre Dame: friends – and not just any friends, but those men and women united by a common pursuit of Wisdom. As Christ himself said, “I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you” (John 15:15). We all are true friends because we all share our common faith in and through the Son.

At the Irish Rover, especially, though we might disagree violently on some political issues (e.g. Ron Paul vs. Sam Brownback) I know that deep down, first and foremost my friends value my soul and my salvation. As an example, albeit a light-hearted one, even though Smiddy is trying his hardest to get me to go to Fever (and he is doing a good job by bribing me with billiards), I know he is doing so because in some way he thinks Fever is good for my soul, as he himself truly proclaims Fever is for his. Such is the mark of a true friend.

I just want to thank all of those who take their faith seriously, who strive to foster a sense of that common good here at the University which is Wisdom and the pursuit, and who never forget that their neighbor could be as close as a roommate in need. Because of you, Notre Dame is what it is, and because of your efforts, Notre Dame will never lose sight of her mission.

God bless you all,

Dan Amiri

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY