Tuesday, December 11, 2007

the definitive list of top ten books to read while in college

As a somewhat tardy follow-up to the posting about Prof. Ghilarducci's favorite books, I'd like to offer my all-time top-ten list--what I think is truly necessarily for a well-rounded, liberal education, particularly in the military-industrial complex in which we abide. Here goes:

1. "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings," Maya Angelou
2. "I, Rigoberta Menchu," by Rigoberta Menchu
3. "Dear President Bush," A Pamphlet by Cindy Sheehan
4. "Giving," by Bill Clinton
5. "Al Gore's Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech," by Al Gore
6. "Bushwhacked," by Maureen Dowd
7. anything by David Gergen
8. "On a Move: The Story of Mumia al-Jamal," by Terry Bison (also, the collected poems, articles, and songs written by, about, and for Mumia; keep the faith!)
9. "Poems from Guantamo: Detainees Speak"
10. "The Politics of Truth," by Joe Wilson

I'd like to add that Ghilarducci was right on to suggest Epstein on envy--he is a first-rate essaysist. I wonder if any prof. would ever assign any of his works. Anyway, that's my two-cents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe - good call on "anything by David Gergen." I don't know *where* the ruling elite in this country would be without that stoic counselor of five presidents at its disposal.

Brian Boyd said...

Hello??? You left off Al Franken. Well, at least he will soon be a senator, and then he can pontificate off the floor of Congress .. I just can't wait.

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful satire.