Friday, March 7, 2008

I guess that makes ND students racists

The image “http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0829417710.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.


Via Phi Beta Cons comes this article about an IUPUI janitor getting in trouble with the Office of Affirmative Action for a racist act. His crime? Reading Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan. Apparently merely holding a book about the KKK is a race crime -- never mind that the book is about ND putting a stop to racism.

If mentioning the KKK is enough to provoke censorship, then I guess that those ND kids who spent days with the KKK (fighting them) would be kicked right out of IUPUI.

3 comments:

Joseph Lawler said...

And although Tucker's Book might be thoughtcrime elsewhere, I recommend it to any Domer. Although it's not the most well written book, everyone should have a sense of how badass ND folks were at that time, and how large a role they played in ending the Klan's Indiana dominance

Christina said...

It's a pretty darn interesting book, although it does have some weak points. Being a Mississippian it was intriguing to read about another state's hidden history with the KKK. (To hear some people talk, you'd think we had a monopoly on racism!)

But yes, this is truly ridiculous. I hope the guy gets his job back.

laeva65 said...

Wow! I had no idea there was such a book. My dad (Class of '28) told me how the men of ND 'greeted' the Klan when they traveled to SB for a rally.

He said two students at a time would meet a Klansman coming off the bus and offer to show him where he needed to go. They walked the Klansman to a nearby alley where a number of the beefier Irish administered a good dose of tough love.

My dad(RIP) loved that story. Where does one get the book, by the way? Maybe I can find it by snooping around the site. BTW, I just discovered this site and it's great!

Jack in Phoenix - former Domer.