Saturday, August 9, 2008

"The Gates of Hell shall not prevail"

Any kind of Catholic (i.e. devout, cafeteria, ChriEaster, lapsed, etcetra) is probably well aquainted with the Gospel story in which Jesus Christ names the apostle Simon Peter the "rock upon which I will build My Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against It." Although I take the liberty of considering myself an earnest Catholic, I cannot deny the very true fact that I most certainly am a rough work-in-progress, which is why a couple of days ago while attending weekday Mass, I allowed the thought, "Yeah yeah, I've heard this one before" to pass through my mind as this Gospel story was being read. However, about an hour ago, my appreciation for this Gospel was both renewed and increased after reading that the Traditional Anglican Communion has sent a letter of request to The Holy See for "full, corporate, sacramental union" with Rome. (The full Zenit.org article: ).

I found this news very exciting and time-appropriate in its release, being that we have so recently heard the Gospel story in which we are assured of the strength and eternity of the One, True Church. Even though it has been a good 500 years since the beginning of the Protestant Reformation and its subsequent churches, and it seems like every week presents a new challenge and/or threat to the Church, Its teachings, and Roman Catholic life in general, news such as this (the Anglican petition) is not only encouraging, but it is also proof that the "gates of Hell shall not prevail against" the Truth that the Church holds.

2 comments:

Thysbe said...

This is great news! It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Joseph Lawler said...

what happened to lindsley's post?