Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day...to a Donor Dad?

All right, I know I'm one day late, but a family friend forwarded this WSJ article to me. Someone conducted research disproving Cornell psychologist Peggy Drexler's claim that single, middle-class, educated moms whose children have sperm donors for fathers can raise their children as well as two middle-class, educated biological parents. A new study was conducted on a random sample of 485 young adults conceived by donor insemination and 563 young adults conceived by a biological mother and father in "the old-fashioned way." Some of the responses from the first group sound disheartening, to say the least:

"That was when the emptiness came over me. I realized that I am, in a sense, a freak. I really, truly would never have a dad. I finally understood what it meant to be donor-conceived, and I hated it." -Katrina Clark, in a contribution to the Washington Post

And half of the 485 young adults conceived by a single mother and a sperm donor "report[ed] that they 'feel sad' when they see 'friends with their biological fathers and mothers.'"

No comments: